What is bdexthost.exe and What Does it Do?
BDExtHost.exe is a process that belongs to Bing Desktop, a program developed by Microsoft. Its purpose is to provide quick access to Bing search results and other features. However, if the process is consuming a lot of CPU or memory resources, it can cause problems with the running programs. To troubleshoot bdexthost.exe errors, try restarting your computer or ending the process in Task Manager. If the problem persists, check the file information to ensure it is not a threat and that it is located in the correct subfolder (C:Program FilesMicrosoftBingDesktop). It is also important to ensure that the user account has the necessary privileges to perform operations on the file. If the bdexthost.exe behaviour is still causing issues, consider removing Bing Desktop altogether or running system scans to restore health and security ratings.
Is bdexthost.exe Safe for Your Computer?
Bdexthost.exe is a safe running program that comes with Bing Desktop for Windows. However, it can cause problems if its behavior becomes greedy with computer resources, causing high CPU consumption. If you encounter issues, the first step is to restart your computer. If the problem persists, locate the file in the C:Program FilesMicrosoftBingDesktop folder or its subfolders, right-click, and select Properties to check its file information. Make sure you have administrator privileges, so you can check the security rating, file size, and occurrences. The CPU utilization should be less than 0.0%. If necessary, you can use the Restorehealth function to fix errors related to Bdexthost.exe and other related processes like translateclient.exe and sputnikcrashhandler.exe.
Common Errors Associated with bdexthost.exe
- Update or Reinstall Programs
- Check for software updates and install them if available
- Uninstall and reinstall any programs associated with bdexthost.exe
- Run a virus scan to ensure the program is not infected
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Click on the Startup tab
- Disable any programs associated with bdexthost.exe
- Use a registry cleaner to scan and repair any registry errors
- Manually edit the registry if comfortable and knowledgeable
- Run a malware scan using reputable anti-virus software
- Remove any detected malware
- Check for and install any available Windows updates
- Restart your computer after updates have been installed
How to Repair or Remove bdexthost.exe
To repair or remove bdexthost.exe, follow these steps:
1. Identify the location of the bdexthost.exe file. It is typically found in the C:Program FilesBingDesktopBdexthost.exe subfolder.
2. Determine whether bdexthost.exe is a threat to your computer. Check the security rating and file size of the exe file. The recommended file size is 1,026,176 bytes with a security rating of “Unknown”.
3. Check the CPU and memory utilization of the running program. If it is consuming a lot of computer resources, it may be behaving greedily.
4. If necessary, remove bdexthost.exe from your hard drive. This can be done by using the “uninstall a program” function in the Windows 10 Control Panel.
5. Alternatively, repair bdexthost.exe by using the “Restorehealth” command in the Command Prompt.
6. Be aware that bdexthost.exe is a core file for Bing Desktop and removing it may affect its operations.
7. If you encounter any errors or issues during these operations, consult the community forums for further assistance.
Other Versions of Bing Desktop and Related Processes
|Bing Desktop 1.3||Released in 2013, this version of Bing Desktop offers daily wallpapers, news, and weather updates.||BingDesktop.exe, BingExt.dll, BingBar.exe|
|Bing Desktop 1.4||Released in 2014, this version of Bing Desktop offers the same features as 1.3 but also includes a taskbar icon for easy access.||BingDesktop.exe, BingExt.dll, BingBar.exe|
|Bing Desktop 1.5||Released in 2015, this version of Bing Desktop introduces a new “Bing Insider” feature that provides behind-the-scenes looks at Bing’s operations.||BingDesktop.exe, BingExt.dll, BingBar.exe|
|Bing Desktop 1.6||Released in 2016, this version of Bing Desktop includes improvements to the daily wallpaper feature and better integration with Windows 10.||BingDesktop.exe, BingExt.dll, BingBar.exe|